Several folks have asked whether I am aware that I misspelled one of the words, crumudgeon, in the title of my blog. I am aware that the correct spelling is curmudgeon, but believe it or not youngcurmudgeon was already in use. I liked the title and figured I'd just spell it the way I think it should be spelled and then write a humorous piece explaining how/why I'm right. Stay tuned for said humor.

Friday, June 19, 2009

This is What Democracy Looks Like

While the Iranian people struggle and fight to have their voices heard, we should recognize that they are providing a great model of what participatory democracy should look like. These folks are risking their lives to stand up and fight for what they believe in. We Americans, on the other hand, are too apathetic to stand up and speak out because it might require a little time and effort that could detract from our busy, yet simultaneously vacuous lives. Write a letter to my Senator about health care? I can't; There's a Jon and Kate Plus 8 marathon on right now. Besides, they don't listen anyway.

Remember the Presidential election of 2000? You know, that was the one that Gore won, but the Supreme Court handed to Bush. Remember the protests in the streets? Remember the outrage? Remember the tireless, enduring protests that demanded justice and promised to continue until justice was served? Yeah, me neither.

2 comments:

  1. I wrote the same thing on facebook this morning after checking it to see so many Jon & Kate and Jillian & whoever updates...seriously! Pay attention people! Or at least half as much attention to the world as you do to random people on tv.Check out CNN.com...hot topics (apparently in some order of importance to the american people): "iran-election fallout - Jon & Kate - black in America" It's no wonder!

    ReplyDelete