Several folks have asked whether I am aware that I misspelled one of the words, crumudgeon, in the title of my blog. I am aware that the correct spelling is curmudgeon, but believe it or not youngcurmudgeon was already in use. I liked the title and figured I'd just spell it the way I think it should be spelled and then write a humorous piece explaining how/why I'm right. Stay tuned for said humor.

Monday, June 8, 2009

Inclusive torture: The innocent get it too

Back from a blog-free weekend. It wasn't intentional; I just didn't find myself with the time and/or motivation to post anything. I'll have to make sure that doesn't happen again. It is not my intention to make this a weekday thing. And thanks to all who have been reading regularly. I appreciate your support and hope the lack of posting for a couple days didn't cause too much of a disruption to your cycle of internet reading

Posts today are gonna be on the shorter end of the spectrum.

Former Guantanamo prisoner Lakhdar Boumediene's story is getting some much needed attention. Boumediene is an Algerian and Bosnian citizen. Shorty after September 11, 2001, he was arrested by Bosnian authorities for being involved in plans to blow up the British and U.S. embassies in Bosnia.

After Bosnian courts found him innocent, Boumedine was arrested and sent to Guantanamo, per the instructions of former President Bush.

He spent almost 8 years in Guatanamo where, surprise, surprise, he was tortured. Though he claimed innocence and protested his detainment for years, Boumediene remained wrongfully and unlawfully detained until last November when Federal Judge Richard Leon, a far right judge appointed by W, ruled that the government did not possess sufficient reason for detaining him.

Eight more months passed before Judge Leon ordered Boudemediene released. He was shackled and flown to Paris on May 15, 2009 aboard a U.S. military plane. Since then he has been in Paris receiving psychiatric and medical care.

He recently returned to his home in Bosnia and is now joining the swelling chorus of voices demanding that we take an honest look at the abuses (ie torture) of Guantanamo detainees. In addition to the Washington Post piece hyperlinked to above, you can also link to a great story on Salon.com that includes the televised ABC news interview with Boudemediene.

His story is fascinating, depressing, and important.

No comments:

Post a Comment